Monday 31 July 2017

Bargello and opera

Friday 16 June 2017 - my last day in Florence. I went to the Bargello, a museum often overlooked by tourists. But it has a magnificent collection of many different things. It's big on sculpture, which I like, so I was in my element. Many works by Michelangelo.

But here's the top hit they're known for, Donatello's David:
There's much to talk about here, but must move on. This stopped me in my tracks.
It's a portrait of Constanza Bonarelli by Bernini. Caused a bit of a scandal because he was having an affair with her at the time. Here's how the book describes the work, "This is probably the most sensual and intimate portrait in the history of sculpture". Not bad, eh?

This is the foreboding facade of the Palazzo Pitti.
Inside (but outdoors) in the Piazza dei Pitti I went to the opera, La Traviata. It was set in early movie-making times (lol). Small seating area so it was an intimate opera experience. Very good indeed. No surtitles, anyone would think it was in their language!
I walked home - it was very pleasant as a bit cooler. This is a view of the Ponte Vecchio at night (0036).
Had a celebratory glass of prosecco in my own neighbourhood when I got back.