Monday 24 July 2017

Tuesday 06 June 2017

Continuing this non-chronological retrospective blog of my holiday, we'll now talk about Tuesday 06 June 2017 in Vienna. By the way, I've just adjusted the time zone on this thing because last night's entry was actually written at 0200, hence the title.

I set off early for the (be careful how you pronounce this one) Kunsthistorisches Museum. On the way, I came across these fellas from the Spanish Riding School (oops, should read Spanische Hofreitschule) having a bit of grass.

This museum was wondrous indeed, and I spoke about it briefly in an earlier entry. I should feature one of the great masterpieces, but these are difficult to photograph in low light, and I tend to buy books of the collections instead. I was very taken by the design area though (mentioned chairs earlier). This desk had me wow-ing.
The cafe at this museum is a wonder in itself, and my photos don't do it justice, but this is my desperate attempt to include lunch and some of the surrounding decor.
Before going to the opera this evening, I did the opera house tour, which luckily included backstage. It's hard to describe, really. We went down some stairs, and up some stairs, and then emerged on a space the size of several sports stadiums. It took me ages looking around to spot the wee opening that was the stage! This is part of the set for tonight's opera being prepared.
And here we are, tie an' all, at the Wiener Staatsoper for Verdi's Rigoletto. Note the discreet surtitle display. It was all very fine. Sorry about the goofy expression - I'm so not into selfies.