Saturday 29 July 2017

Uffizi

Tuesday 13 June 2017 - Today I have an appointment at th Uffizi Gallery. This was a stupendous visit - it is so big and contains so much great art. I tend to take photos of the sculpture because the lighting is usually better. For the paintings, I buy a book on exiting through the gift shop. The books are excellent, but necessitate me posting them home because they would weigh too much in my suitcase. I've just tried to weigh the pile of books from this holiday, and got an error message on my kitchen scales!

Exterior of the Uffizi:
One of the interior corridors.
You will have seen these dudes before, it's one work I had to photograph. Piero della Francesca's dyptych of the Duchess and Duke of Urbino.
I haven't noted the details of the sculptures I did photograph, and frustratingly they're not itemised in the book, so here's a couple of examples, but I can tell you no more.

I'm fascinated by the Vasari corridor, but it wasn't open to visitors while there because of health and safety concerns (not enough fire escapes apparently). Good view of it from the Uffizi.