Wednesday 23 August 2017

Laterina to Roma

Saturday 1 July 2017 - Okay, everybody out... of the villa, that is. Big tidy-up, farewells, inspection by Martina, and we're off to Rome. We're driving on the A1, and when it comes time to consider a morning break, I vote for the Autogrill. Bit of a sentimental moment, because I first saw these on my first trip to Europe in 2005 when I did a coach tour. I haven't seen them since, because I haven't travelled by road over there.

They're just amazing, the way they span the whole motorway, and have all sorts of stuff for sale, produce, and meals. It was a bit of a disaster though, we went upstairs to the posh bit, but the food on offer wasn't that great, expensive, and we still had to go downstairs for the coffees. Downstairs was frantically busy, crazy. They're organised for the caffe though - huge number of machines, and baristas churning out the coffees. There's a few coffee carts at home I think could take a lesson here.

Here's an inspired idea from the window of the Autogrill. The solar panels not only produce electricity, they're providing much needed shade for the cars.

We checked into my Airbnb apartment in the Monti, had a great lunch, and then went for a stroll to the Coliseum.

Ya never know who's spying or photographing ya. Here we see woman picked up in small street by spiffy black BMW. Actually, it's my friends leaving for the airport, all flying home (while I still have weeks to go, tee hee).

My next mission was to get a PDF file printed out, because my visit the next day insisted on printed tickets, and they changed something, so my previously organised voucher was invalid. That became a very long walk on a Saturday, but I eventually found a place. I found out later that there was a place a few doors from my apartment, but they weren't open on Saturday.

So after a long walk, a tourist in Rome deserves a beer... a beer with a view that is.

I deliberately left this photo at it's jaunty angle to show how ridiculous selfies are - it is a selfie, eh?